Current:Home > ScamsViolence erupts in Dublin in response to knife attack that wounded 3 children -Wealth Pursuit Network
Violence erupts in Dublin in response to knife attack that wounded 3 children
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 01:38:01
Violent clashes broke out in central Dublin on Thursday evening, with vehicles torched and riot police attacked, after a 5-year-old girl was seriously injured in a knife attack earlier in the day that also saw a woman and two other young children hospitalized.
Irish police said the girl was receiving emergency medical treatment in a Dublin hospital following the attack outside a school. Soon after that announcement, at least 100 people took to the streets, some armed with metal bars and covering their faces.
Police said over 400 officers including many in riot gear, were deployed in Dublin city center to contain the unrest, which they said was "caused by a small group of thugs." A police cordon was also set up around the Irish Parliament building, Leinster House, and officers from the Mounted Support Unit were in nearby Grafton Street.
There were clashes with riot police as some demonstrators let off flares and fireworks, while others grabbed chairs and stools outside bars and restaurants.
A number of police vehicles and a tram were damaged during the disorder, while a bus and car were also set on fire on the city's O'Connell Bridge.
Shop windows were routinely smashed and a Foot Locker store was looted. All public transport in the city — trams and buses — was suspended and many firms have urged their staff to work from home on Friday.
"We have a complete lunatic hooligan faction driven by far-right ideology, and also then this disruptive tendency engaged in serious violence," said Ireland's top police officer, Drew Harris.
Police and politicians called for calm and warned against misinformation over the attack earlier in the day.
"The scenes we are witnessing this evening in our city center cannot and will not be tolerated," said Justice Minister Helen McEntee. "A thuggish and manipulative element must not be allowed to use an appalling tragedy to wreak havoc."
Earlier, police said a man in his 50s, who also was seriously injured, is a "person of interest" in their investigation. No other details about his identity were revealed.
At a press briefing in the evening, Harris was asked about a potential terrorist link, and he didn't rule it out.
"I have never ruled out any possible motive for this attack...all lines of inquiry are open to determine the motive for this attack," he said.
That appeared to be a slight change in stance from earlier, when Superintendent Liam Geraghty said police were keeping an open mind in terms of the investigation but were "satisfied there is no terrorist link."
A woman in her 30s also suffered serious injuries during the knife attack shortly after 1:30 p.m. The two other children, a 5-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl, sustained less serious injuries. and the boy was discharged from a hospital,
Geraghty said at a media briefing that preliminary indications are that a man attacked a number of people on Parnell Square East.
He said that police believe that it was "a standalone incident, not necessarily connected to any wider issues that are ongoing in the country or in the city, and we need to identify the exact reasons for that happening."
Geraghty confirmed earlier witness reports that a knife was used in the attack, but he couldn't provide more details on the nature of the injuries. He also confirmed that witnesses sought to disarm the man as soon as they saw what was going on.
"My understanding is members of the public did intervene at a very, very early stage and we would applaud those members of the public for getting involved in such a traumatic and potentially dangerous situation for themselves," Geraghty said.
- In:
- Dublin
- Stabbings
- Ireland
veryGood! (7)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- North Carolina bill seeks to restrict public and media access to criminal autopsy reports
- Former Arizona grad student convicted of first-degree murder in 2022 shooting of professor
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange can appeal against U.S. extradition, U.K. court rules
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- The Skinny Confidential Just Launched A Mini Version Of Its Cult-Fave Ice Roller, & We're Obsessed
- Solo climber found dead after fall from Denali, highest mountain peak in North America
- Run, Don’t Walk to Zappos' Memorial Day Shoe Sale, Including Hoka, Birkenstocks & More Up to 70% off
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs owned up to violent assault of Cassie caught on video. Should he have?
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Gov. Moore celebrates ship’s removal, but says he won’t be satisfied until Key Bridge stands again
- Woman found living in Michigan store sign told police it was a little-known ‘safe spot’
- Who replaces Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi and what happens next?
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Dying ex-doctor serving life for murder may soon be free after a conditional pardon and 2-year wait
- At five hour hearing, no one is happy with Texas Medical Board’s proposed abortion guidance
- During arraignment, Capitol riot defendant defiantly predicts Trump will win election and shutter Jan. 6 criminal cases
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Studio Ghibli takes a bow at Cannes with an honorary Palme d’Or
Michael Strahan Shares Sweet Video of Daughter Isabella Amid Her Cancer Battle
Michael Strahan Shares Sweet Video of Daughter Isabella Amid Her Cancer Battle
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Inside Carolyn Bessette's Final Days: Heartbreaking Revelations About Her Life With John F. Kennedy Jr.
NRA names new leadership to replace former CEO found liable for wrongly spending millions
14-year-old among four people killed in multi-vehicle crash on I-75 in Georgia, police say