Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Vatican shares investigation into child abuse allegations against an Australian bishop with police -Wealth Pursuit Network
Burley Garcia|Vatican shares investigation into child abuse allegations against an Australian bishop with police
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 02:19:24
CANBERRA,Burley Garcia Australia (AP) — The Vatican had shared with police findings of an internal investigation of a former Australian bishop over child sex abuse allegations and the church would fully cooperate with criminal investigators, a cleric said on Friday.
The Catholic Church announced the handover of its investigation report into former Bishop Christopher Saunders three days after the Western Australia Police Force publicly revealed it had requested a copy.
“The church will continue to offer full transparency and cooperation with W.A. Police,” Bishop Michael Morrissey, who replaced Saunders in the Broome Diocese in 2021, said in a statement.
“The church encourages anyone who has experienced abuse, or suspects abuse within the community, to come forward and report it to police,” Morrissey added.
Saunders, now 73, denied any wrongdoing and refused to participate in the Vatican investigation, which began last year, the church said.
He resigned in 2021 as bishop of Broome, an Outback diocese of northwest Australia larger than France but with a population of only 50,000, after police announced they had dropped a sex crime investigation. He had stood down a year earlier after media reported the allegations.
The Vatican this week confirmed it had completed its Saunders investigation that it said could not have begun before the police investigation had ended.
The confirmation followed media reports on Monday that the 200-page Vatican report found Saunders likely sexually assaulted four Indigenous youths and potentially groomed another 67 Indigenous youths and men.
The church refuses to publicly detail the allegations that were investigated.
Police had conducted two investigations into allegations against Saunders between 2018 and 2020. Prosecutors had concluded there was insufficient evidence to lay charges.
In requesting the Vatican report, a police statement said on Tuesday: “If further information comes to light, police will investigate.”
Morrissey said the Vatican report had been handed to Western Australia Deputy Police Commissioner Allan Adams. Morrissey did not say when.
The church and police “remain in ongoing and collaborative contact on the matter,” Morrissey said.
Police on Friday declined to comment on what they intended to do with the report.
Saunders, who continues to hold the church title of bishop, is now Australia’s most senior cleric known to be accused of child abuse in a scandal that has enveloped the church around the world.
Cardinal George Pell was the third highest-ranking cleric in the Vatican when he was convicted in an Australian court in 2018 of sexually abusing two 13-year-old choirboys in a Melbourne cathedral in 1996, when Pell was an archbishop.
Pell spent 13 months in prison before the convictions were overturned on appeal. He maintained his innocence until his death in Rome in January.
Saunders began working in Broome as a deacon in 1975 and became bishop in 1996.
veryGood! (888)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- New initiative tests nonpartisan observation in Missoula primary
- Top US bishop worries Catholic border services for migrants might be imperiled by government action
- Who is Alex Jones? The conspiracist and dietary supplement salesman built an empire over decades
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Bebe Rexha calls G-Eazy an 'ungrateful loser', claims he mistreated her post-collaboration
- Maine opens contest to design a new state flag based on an old classic
- Michigan coach fired, facing charges after video shows him choking teen at middle school
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Deadliest Catch Star Nick Mavar Dead at 59 in Medical Emergency
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Virginia city repeals ban on psychic readings as industry grows and gains more acceptance
- Germany vs. Scotland UEFA Euro 2024 opening game in Munich: How to watch, rosters
- Tyson Foods suspends executive John R. Tyson after DWI arrest in Arkansas
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Her dying husband worried she’d have money troubles. Then she won the lottery
- Michigan coach fired, facing charges after video shows him choking teen at middle school
- White Lotus Star Theo James Once Had a Bottle of Urine Thrown at Him
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Zac Efron Reacts to Ex Vanessa Hudgens Becoming a Mom as She Expects First Baby With Husband Cole Tucker
Dogs’ digs at the Garden: Westminster show returning to Madison Square Garden next year
The 'vegetable' that's actually a fruit: Why tomatoes are so healthy
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Weekend of graduation ceremonies begins at California universities without major war protests
Biden says he won't commute any sentence Hunter gets: I abide by the jury decision
Tony Evans resignation is yet another controversy for celebrity pastors in USA