Current:Home > FinanceFukushima nuclear plant’s operator says the first round of wastewater release is complete -Wealth Pursuit Network
Fukushima nuclear plant’s operator says the first round of wastewater release is complete
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:13:28
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant said Monday that it has safely completed the first release of treated radioactive water from the plant into the sea and will inspect and clean the facility before starting the second round in a few weeks.
The Fukushima Daiichi plant began discharging the treated and diluted wastewater into the Pacific Ocean on Aug. 24. The water has accumulated since the plant was damaged by a massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011, and the start of its release is a milestone in the plant’s decommissioning.
The discharge, which is expected to continue for decades until the decommissioning is finished, has been strongly opposed by fishing groups and by neighboring countries. China has banned all imports of Japanese seafood in response, hurting producers and exporters and prompting the Japanese government to compile an emergency relief fund.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, at summits last week of Southeast Asian countries and the Group of 20 nations, stressed the safety and transparency of the release to win international support and sought the immediate lifting of China’s ban.
During the 17-day first release, the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, said it discharged 7,800 tons of treated water from 10 tanks. About 1.34 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant.
Plant workers will rinse the pipeline and other equipment and inspect the system over the next few weeks before starting the release of the second round of 7,800 tons stored in 10 other tanks, TEPCO spokesperson Teruaki Kobashi told reporters Monday.
All sampling data from seawater and fish since the start of the release have been way below set safety limits, officials said.
TEPCO and the government say the wastewater is treated to reduce radioactive materials to safe levels, and then is diluted with seawater to make it much safer than international standards.
The radioactive wastewater has accumulated since three of the plant’s reactors were damaged by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. It continues to grow because cooling water used on the damaged reactors leaks into the reactor basements, where it mixes with groundwater.
TEPCO plans to release 31,200 tons of treated water through March 2024, and officials say the pace will pick up later.
The government and TEPCO say the discharge is unavoidable because the tanks will reach their capacity of 1.37 million tons next year and space at the plant is needed for its decommissioning.
veryGood! (88741)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- These home sales in the US hit a nearly three-decade low: How did we get here?
- Sen. Tim Scott to endorse Trump at New Hampshire rally on Friday, days before crucial primary
- The Fate of Kaley Cuoco’s The Flight Attendant Season 3 Revealed
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- These Are the Best Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas of 2024 for Your Family, Besties, Partner & More
- Sundance Film Festival turns 40
- A British politician calling for a cease-fire in Gaza gets heckled by pro-Palestinian protesters
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Texas child only survivor of 100 mph head-on collision, police say
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Aridity Could Dry Up Southwestern Mine Proposals
- Hostage families protest outside Netanyahu’s home, ramping up pressure for a truce-for-hostages deal
- In between shoveling, we asked folks from hot spots about their first time seeing snow
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- 37 Massachusetts communities to get disaster aid for last year’s flooding
- South African government says it wants to prevent an auction of historic Mandela artifacts
- Jaafar Jackson shows off iconic Michael Jackson dance move as he prepares to film biopic
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Watch this cowboy hurry up and wait in order to rescue a stranded calf on a frozen pond
Judge ends suspension of Illinois basketball star Terrence Shannon Jr., charged with rape
An unknown culprit has filled in a Chicago neighborhood landmark known as the ‘rat hole’
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
911 calls from Maui capture pleas for the stranded, the missing and those caught in the fire’s chaos
37 Massachusetts communities to get disaster aid for last year’s flooding
Todd Helton on the cusp of the Baseball Hall of Fame with mile-high ceiling broken